Some romances seem timeless and unforgettable. This is especially true when our favorite celebs are involved and much of their relationship unfolds under the spotlight. But no matter how publicized a celebrity relationship is or how crazy the public gets about the couple, after a number of years, they tend to fade away as if nothing ever happened. From a historical distance, some of these throwback relationships seem a bit irrational, while others seem like a perfect match. Whatever the case,
1. Tom Cruise and Penélope CruzTom Cruise and Penélope Cruz started as a behind-the-scenes fling on the set of Vanilla Sky back in 2000 that turned into an almost 3-year romance. At the time, Cruise publicly acknowledged his new relationship, even though his divorce with Nicole Kidman was not yet finalized.
2. George Clooney and Lucy Liu George Clooney and Lucy Liu were rumored to be dating in 2000 while Liu’s fame skyrocketed after she starred in Charlie’s Angels. Although neither of them confirmed the speculations, they were seen kissing on New Year’s Eve in 2006.
3. Kate Moss and Johnny Depp Both Kate Moss and Johnny Depp were one of the biggest stars of the ’90s and early 2000s, so it’s no surprise that their 4-year relationship was the focus of the paparazzi at that time.
4. Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee MillerAngelina Jolie and British actor Jonny Lee Miller first met on the set of the ’90s movie hit, Hackers, in 1995. They got married the following year and divorced in 2000. Judging by recent rumors, the ex-couple could be rekindling their relationship.
5. Sandra Bullock and Matthew McConaugheySandra Bullock and Matthew McConaughey started a 2-year relationship after filming a movie together in 1996. Both of them are now in happy relationships, and they’ve remained close friends.
6. Reese Witherspoon and Jake GyllenhaalThe 2 actors met on the set of the film, Rendition, in March 2007 and started a romance that lasted until 2009. Their relationship started right after Reese Witherspoon’s divorce from Ryan Phillippe and according to some sources, she was not ready to commit to getting married again.
7. Michael Keaton and Courteney Cox Courteney Cox and Michael Keaton were together for almost 6 years before calling it quits in 1995. This was just one year after Cox’s first appearance on the legendary sitcom, Friends. She went on to marry David Arquette in 1999, whom she divorced in 2010.
8. Kim Kardashian and Nick CannonKim Kardashian briefly dated Nick Cannon back in 2006. According to Cannon, he was getting ’’serious’’ about the relationship and was heartbroken when Kardashian left him. 9. Ryan Reynolds and Alanis MorissetteRyan Reynolds and his wife, Blake Lively, may just be one of the most adorable couples in Hollywood. However, before marrying the Gossip Girl actress and having 3 children with her, Reynolds was in a committed relationship with Canadian rocker Alanis Morissette.
12. Madonna and Dennis Rodman\The queen of pop has been known to get involved in a number of high-profile romances, like with basketball star, Denis Rodman, whom she dated in 1994. They were together for only 2 months, but their relationship was highly-publicized. Rodman later revealed that Madonna allegedly offered him $20 million to have his child.
14. Blake Lively and Penn Badgley Unlike the rest of us, Gossip Girl fans probably still remember that Lively once dated her co-star on the popular series, Penn Badgley. Sparks flew in 2007, but the pair tried to keep their relationship under wraps. They parted ways 2 years later, also keeping their breakup a secret from the Gossip Girl crew.
15. Bradley Cooper and Renée ZellwegerBradley Cooper and Renée Zellweger had a 2-year relationship that ended in 2011. Their first meeting was in 2006 while working on a movie together, but they started dating 3 years later, in 2009. During the course of their time together, both of them tried to keep the affair under the radar and neither of them publicly discussed their breakup.
16. Charlize Theron and Sean PennIn 2013, Charlize Theron began dating Sean Penn — a fellow actor who is 15 years her senior. The 2 split just a couple of years later. According to the actress, they called it quits because their relationship ’’just didn’t work out.’’ Although the couple seemed happy together, Theron denied that they ever planned on getting married.
17. Justin Timberlake and Cameron DiazIn the mid-2000s, the media was buzzing about this power couple, but still, we often forget that the 2 were ever together. The actress and musician met in 2003 and for the next 4 years, it seemed like they were the perfect match. However, it appears that neither of them was ready to commit at that time.
19. Edward Norton and Salma HayekSalma Hayek and Edward Norton were one of Hollywood’s most talked-about couples in the early 2000s, but remained notoriously private about their relationship. They stayed together for 4 years. 20. Christina Applegate and Brad PittBrad Pitt had quite a few flings with female A-listers throughout his career, and sometimes it’s hard to keep track of them all. Back in 1989, he briefly dated fellow actress, Christina Applegate, who left him for another guy.